Monday 19 December 2016

Humans and Fishes. Are we alike?




Written by Jerome (丹耿)

I was walking in Bishan-Ang Mo Kio Park on a Sunday evening (11th december 2016) when I saw hundreds of fishes in a small river. I started feeding them some bread that I brought along. As I was feeding, the fishes jostled, side by side, one above the other and some jumped above the water to compete for the bread. Even birds came to feed on the bread. Halfway through, I had an inspiration to write this poem.

"
Greedy are these fishes who seek for and fight for their food.

Greedy are humans who seek for and fight for money, power, sensual and intellectual desires.

Life after life, they live in the tank of materialism.

Ups and downs in life, they experience cycles of joy and woe.

When do they learn to share and think about their fellow beings?

When can they truly be happy?

"

Actually humans and fishes are not much different. Each fight for things they desire. They both experience happiness when they get things they want and experience distress when they do not get things they crave for. Is that all we do in life?

A food for thought. I hope to share this poem with everyone.


For more information, please visit:
Official Bodhi Meditation Worldwide Centers: http://puti.org/en/worldwide-centers/

No comments:

Post a Comment