Friday 30 December 2016

Moving from 2016 to 2017 - Ada's reflections



As the year draws to a close, I thought it might be a good idea to reflect on the past year and plan for the next, hence this post.

Like the previous years, this year has its good and bad. I’m thankful for the good but equally thankful to have experienced the bad for I’m sure they are helping me in becoming a stronger and better person. I’ll sum up my year with three of my most meaningful endeavors.

1. Picking up Buddhism and meditation. I started learning Buddhism and meditation at the start of 2016. A year has passed and I find myself having new perspectives on life, career and relationships. I came to understand that there is more to life than chasing after qualifications, climbing the corporate ladder and figuring out ways to earn that additional bit of money; which was precisely what I had been doing before. In the midst of my endless pursuits to achieve what the society defines a successful life, I had overlooked the frailty of life. Buddhism constantly reminds me of the meaning of being human and how short our time on earth really is. While making material success still remains necessary to a certain extent, to allow us to provide for our loved ones, it should not make up the whole of life. Instead, health, happiness and relationships should take the centrestage. 


2. Giving. Master Jin Bodhi spoke on many occasions on the importance of giving. Giving can come in many forms, be it time, money, or resources. We should give to the needy as well as the spiritual leaders and Buddhas. This act, coupled with a sincere desire to give without expecting returns, can generate merits that will eventually benefit the giver. After learning this, I started giving. There was initial inertia as it was not my habit, but eventually, I came to enjoy it and even find it a privilege to be able to give. I feel happy to buy tissues from the uncles and aunties sitting by the roadside while others just hurried by to get to their workplace quickly. I feel happy in doing things that I have been planning for ages to get started, but haven't found the time, resources and company to do so. Also, I feel happy seeing my volunteer work take on meaning, even if it's just putting a simple smile on people’s faces. Giving has so much more value than the literal meaning of it, I encourage you to do more to experience it for yourself. 


3. Having found a new direction for life. I was struggling quite a bit with my career and life goals in the past year. Although I had a stable job, I was constantly worrying about the next pursuits to ensure I stay ahead of the pack. I had no clear goals, and was frequently skipping from ideas to ideas, but never delving deeper into them. I ended up feeling unsettled and constantly rushing for time. Buddhism and meditation have helped me to clarify my goals, which perhaps started from clarifying the purpose of life. 


In all, I feel that I've gained so much from learning Buddhism and meditation, which is also the reason why this blog is here - so I can share what I've learnt with all of you. With gratefulness on one hand and hopefulness on the other, I look forward to a more meaningful year ahead. I wish you joy, good health and a fulfilling year ahead. May you be able to find what matters to you the most soon.


Best wishes,
Ada

For more information on Meditation , please visit:
Official Bodhi Meditation Worldwide Centers: http://puti.org/en/worldwide-centers/



No comments:

Post a Comment